Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Jack be Nimble - Jack be Quick!"

"The Pessimist complains about the wind. The Optimist expects it to change. The Leader adjusts the sails." ~ John Maxwell ~

The Medici Effect

In December I suggested that readers consider viewing their “Vision” and “Mission” through the “Goodwill Industries” lens. On reflection some may have been inspired to refine their vision, mission and slogan statements. Perhaps the exercise prompted the thought and possibly the pursuit of new breakthrough market vectors.

The viability and relevance of your chosen markets and new market vectors calls for a discussion of what Frans Johansson calls the “Medici Effect”. In his book ("The Medici Effect", Harvard Business School Press © 2006) Johansson elaborates on market adaptive endeavors and Directional versus Intersectional business development. The book presents, as a backdrop, the Medici family of Florence, Italy who inspired and nurtured the remarkable Italian and European renaissance period in which cross-cultural interaction and collaborations flourished - leveraging Italy’s unique position as a crossroad for merchant trade.

The Directional approach might be considered the more traditional path of product management that can be described as linear, sequential, even narrow, myopic or in-bred in nature - INTROVERTED. (I apologize for the negative flavor of those descriptives – market loyalty is important – but not in the context of this piece.)

An Intersectional approach will be more interactive, innovative, non-traditional, exploratory, risk-taking, cross-pollinating, farsighted in nature – EXTROVERTED.

Introverted vs. Extroverted market thinking can be the difference between dying businesses and those that experience Great Leaps Forward. Supply chain collaborations and the creation of “virtual” organizations help constituent members get outside of “Directional” orientations that lead to uninspired drift and the death of product lifecycles and helps them swing - as nimble primates - to new vines of opportunity and new fruit bearing trees.

In a previous life at a global performance fiber manufacturer we “crossed a line” that was then viewed as unheard of and risky. We began to talk with product development people at prospective customers in industries in which we had never before conducted business. Some questioned our vague idea of ROI in the initiative, but leadership allowed the foray. We represented ourselves as a “solution” provider with certain “adaptive” technology capabilities. They described market opportunities and we created engineered products that met their criteria. We diversified, launched some new products and enjoyed periods of uncontested market dominance. We had gone ape - swinging to new trees and fruit!

If the goal of intersectional thinking and networking is to lead to innovation, a new concept alone does not constitute an innovation. Innovation in the commercial sense follows the following formula; I (Innovation) = I + I + I - where the right-hand variables are: Idea converted into an Invention that is Implemented

Most established companies and consumers are averse to choices for the new over existing and proven approaches and product lines. I am not an early adopter and neither is over 85% of the population. This involves risk. Aversion to innovation comes from a fear of a business momentum killing “stop to start” scenario. Remember that swinging primate image I gave you a moment ago --- what if he let’s go of the vine he has and the vine he grabs is a wet noodle? Answer: Don’t let go of the old vine. When to let go – if at all – involves decisions to commit capital to nurture or preserve existing CORE investments or to create new parallel CONTINGENCY options (see graphic below). Best of all would be the decision to invest in preserving existing technology that is adaptive to creating new options.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien ~

Last month I gave you half of a story on answered prayers. I admit it was a very literal example – I asked God for a sign about focus in my life and I immediately come across an orange construction sign washed up on the beach that read “ROAD NARROWS”. The picture I took of that sign was taken on a subsequent trip to pick up the sign (my Pastor asked for it when he heard the story). So here’s the other half of the story;

On that return trip several days later I decided to take my 8 mega-pixel 10X optical/digital zoom camera to document the scene. The camera was safely sealed in one zip lock bag inside another inside a “dry” bag in my cockpit under a neoprene spray “skirt”. (Writing that last sentence I realize I’m definitely a type “A”.) As I headed out onto the water I said a brief prayer and remember thinking to myself, wouldn’t it be neat to receive another “sign”, another special message? Bring it on God!

It’s a clear, calm morning - around 8AM. With the sun rising to my left I head toward the point beyond which is the sign. The panorama before me is a sight to behold. The point of land, all woods and trees to the shore. The backdrop beyond is the craggy white quartz cliff dotted with mature cedars called Crystal Cave point (the eastern slope of Mount Hope) rising out of the Bay. The sun is hitting it all just right, the colors are vivid. The perfect subject for a painting. But there’s more - the picture comes to life!

As I approach my turn point two deer step out of the woods onto the narrow strip of beach – twenty yards in front of me. I’m not kidding. A buck with a rack of antlers standing tall and alert like the elk in the “Hartford” logo and beside him a doe. Incredible! I stop paddling and freeze, they freeze, I drift toward them.

Now fumbling as I try to make as little motion as possible while I get out my camera, I know that I have about 10 seconds - tops - to get a shot before they figure out that I’m not a piece of benign driftwood, spook and bolt. Spray skirt opened, dry bag open, zip lock bag #1 open, zip lock bag #2 open, camera out, lens cap off, camera on – and the deer nonchalantly step into the woods and – vanish, evaporate – poof! - gone! COME OOOOON!

I can’t believe it! God! Why? - - - small, still voice: “No risk no reward ...”
But I was prepared – I had my camera with me – I deserved the shot! - - - firmer voice: “You deserved what? The camera was tucked away – capable yes, safe yes - and useless. No risk no reward. Protect your camera, wrap yourself in your preparation, you have the memory of the image. Be satisfied with that. The photo, however, is for the risk taker ...”

“Blessed is he who expects nothing (for himself), for he shall enjoy everything.”~ Saint Francis of Assisi ~

All the Best!
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment