Thursday, July 3, 2014

Declaration of Dependence



July 4th 2014.  My mind is struggling to deliver something about a recent Supreme Court decision favoring a closely held company’s right NOT to fund the personal reproductive decisions of it’s employees if that decision runs contrary to its religious beliefs. The episode is so close to our national holiday expressing freedom and cuts across so many lines of belief and thought and politics that a blog post cannot possibly cover all of it.
It’s about the touchstone issues of our time; pro choice and pro life, it’s about big government and less government, it’s about entitlement and individual responsibility, it’s about the rights of the one and the rights of many and on and on. My blog can become a rant and a point of offense. I run the risk of being called a hypocrite by critics and cynics. My ego does not want that. So, do I keep my head down - my pen motionless? Of course not.

The word “hypocrite” is the great silencer of many a man or woman who harbors a virtuous thought or ideal. It’s the great equalizer in a cynical age, the “chink in the armor”. We use it to tear down people who we perceive to have placed themselves above and talk down at us – especially when we don’t agree with them – or their opinions are inconvenient or convict us. All of our founding fathers were chastised, labeled hypocrites and pursued for ruin.

All who preach are hypocrites. All who extol virtue of any sort and on any side – are hypocrites. Show me the perfect man or women who lived or lives 100% true to their cloak and shroud. There is none – no, not one! JFK, M.L. King, George Washington, Ronald Reagan, John Wayne, The Pope, Martin Luther, your Pastor or Priest, my Pastor, place the name of your human hero here: _________. All had secrets, all compromised at least once - were hypocrites of one sort or another. Some more, some less. Even Mother Teresa, walking mighty close to her talk – has been accused of hypocrisy. Google® it.

I am a hypocrite. I like to think I’m getting better at walking my talk. But don’t listen to me because of me because, though I try to walk a narrow line, I will betray any value I state as being good and right to follow. Even a miniscule betrayal will tarnish my testimony in a cynical world. I denounce murder but I think murder. I denounce sloth but I indulge in slothfulness. Don’t listen to me because I am not the man you see on the outside. I am a poser, a pretender and a fraud. And so are you. Don’t kid yourself.

If we can all agree on our mutual destitution we can begin to look up to truth and virtuous things and share them without reproach. We might actually agree on something good and timeless. But as soon as any one of us puts on his or her mask – we lose that fellowship - - - there is a hypocrite in the room. The only true unifying bond we can have is our confession of imperfection. And that is the start.

So is there anything virtuous or praiseworthy even though none of us are its perfect example? Of course there is. Can we talk about it and extol it? Why not? Hear the message but don’t judge the message by its messenger. My actions do not invalidate my ideals. That’s why they are ideals. I am not ideal.

But there is one who is. His name is Jesus Christ. He is no hypocrite. He’s been put to the test and He passed as no other man has or ever will.

This week our country celebrates the 4th of July and our Declaration of Independence; independence from the tyranny of taxation without representation, capricious governance, tyranny that tramples the "unalienable" rights endowed to us by our Creator - - - a "Declaration" thereof made "with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence".

While we as a country collectively celebrate with singular agreement what we perceive to be our unique system of government founded on liberty and “freedom” we have, however, given birth to other forms of tyranny to which we increasingly bow and give allegiance. The trends are disturbing to some and welcomed by others. In the context of history, these trends are nothing new and the book of Ecclesiastes documents the vanity of it.

They say that when things are not going well that it’s time to get back to the fundamentals. When the exterior finish is too deteriorated to be repaired you take it down to the bare metal or wood and begin again. Our most fundamental of fundamentals is God. We say we are a nation under God. Our motto is “In God We Trust”. If so, then we are UNDER GOD. We need to uncover that and bring it into the light. If we ask for God’s blessing and say “God bless America” - for whom’s agenda are we asking that blessing? There are those among us who would take all mention of God from our buildings, our currency and any other place we have etched His mention - to remind us – of our fundamentals.

Are our prayers the mere rubbing of a genie of our own conjuring for our own desires? Is God a mere dispenser of favors? If we think so - how arrogant of us. Do we really believe that God, the Creator, exists to do our bidding? Is there nothing timeless, true or absolute? Is there no rock to stand on or is everything in continual helpless flux? Do we dare ask ourselves what God created us for? Do we dare speak up?

I declare independence from human tyranny, relativism, fear, the common herd mentality and "going along to get along". By my faith I declare my independence from the tyranny of sin and death. By this declaration I also declare my DEPENDENCE on Jesus Christ and my submission to His will and agenda because it is He who freed me from that tyranny and has seized the right to be my Lord. He is the only one worthy of following – He is the only one who is credible and without blemish.

If life has proven anything to me it is this; God responds to one standard – Faith in, Dependence on and Obedience to Him.

In Ephesians 6:12 it is written; "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

The flag of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (in which I live) boldly proclaims with it’s image of an Anchor and the word “Hope” plainly displayed: “This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil, where the forerunner has entered for us, even Jesus, having become High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek. ~ Hebrews 6:19-20 NKJV”.

I cling and shackle myself to whatever chain that securely binds me to that Anchor!

Blessings,
Bill

2 comments:

  1. Amen and Thank you, Bill. Wish you and yours a Safe, Happy and Blessed 4th of July!!!

    ReplyDelete